Weeks 27 & 28 - The Championships, Wimbledon (grass) - men's singles (2024)

JonH comes home



Tennis legend


Status: Offline

Posts: 38192

Date:

Weeks 27 & 28 - The Championships, Wimbledon (grass) - men's singles

Permalink

Arthur Fils and Ugo Humbert into the last 16 - three French players in the last 16 and Halys still in action

-- Edited by JonH comes home on Saturday 6th of July 2024 08:08:08 PM

__________________

JonH comes home



Tennis legend


Status: Offline

Posts: 38192

Date:

Permalink

USA and France both with 3 left in.

__________________

JonH comes home



Tennis legend


Status: Offline

Posts: 38192

Date:

Permalink

12 of the top 16 seeds made it to the last 16. 3 unseeded players. Just one qualifier, a lucky loser in fact.

__________________

JonH comes home



Tennis legend


Status: Offline

Posts: 38192

Date:

Permalink

Zverev and de Minaur not lost a set (AdM had a walkover in his last match) /Shelton had gone to five sets in every round ! Tired?!

__________________

Coup Droit



Tennis legend


Status: Offline

Posts: 53535

Date:

Permalink

L16

3 x France
3 x USA
2 x Italy
2 x Spain
1 x Russia
1 x Bulgaria
1 x Denmark
1 x Germany
1 x Australia
1 x Serbia

So:

12 x Europe
4 x non-Europe

(Zero Asia, Africa or South America)

Range of rankings:

Pretty solidly top players only

12 players in the top-16

But: 1 player outside the top-100 (at WR112)

1 player who is a LL (ranked now WR 58)

Big range of age:

The youngest is 20 (two 20 year-olds in fact); the oldest is 37 (two over 35)

Average age: 25.75

And a guy over 2m tall in Gio Mpetshi Perricard

No player under 6 ft (1.83), from what I can see

__________________

Coup Droit



Tennis legend


Status: Offline

Posts: 53535

Date:

Permalink

Allez, Gio !!!!

Go, big guy! Weeks 27 & 28 - The Championships, Wimbledon (grass) - men's singles (1)

__________________

JonH comes home



Tennis legend


Status: Offline

Posts: 38192

Date:

Permalink

Coup Droit wrote:

Allez, Gio !!!!

Go, big guy! Weeks 27 & 28 - The Championships, Wimbledon (grass) - men's singles (2)

Sadly went out in 4 sets to Musetti.

__________________

JonH comes home



Tennis legend


Status: Offline

Posts: 38192

Date:

Permalink

Just spotted Fritz beat Zverev in 5!

__________________

Coup Droit



Tennis legend


Status: Offline

Posts: 53535

Date:

Permalink

JonH comes home wrote:

Just spotted Fritz beat Zverev in 5!

Sometimes little things are very pleasingWeeks 27 & 28 - The Championships, Wimbledon (grass) - men's singles (3)

__________________

indiana


Weeks 27 & 28 - The Championships, Wimbledon (grass) - men's singles (4)


Tennis legend


Status: Offline

Posts: 39885

Date:

Permalink

Coup Droit wrote:
JonH comes home wrote:

Just spotted Fritz beat Zverev in 5!

Sometimes little things are very pleasingWeeks 27 & 28 - The Championships, Wimbledon (grass) - men's singles (5)

If we could just get rid of Djokovic too ...

__________________

Lambda



Challenger qualifying


Status: Offline

Posts: 2104

Date:

Permalink

How out of touch are the ATP? Apparently, effectively immediately after Wimbledon, ball kids will once again be required to hand lazy players their sweaty, germ infested, towels. Gross....

"Board approved a rule change to permit players to request and be handed towels between points, as was customary before the COVID-19 pandemic. All ATP tournaments must accommodate this provision. This rule change will take effect starting after Wimbledon."

(Sorry, nothing to do with Wimby)

__________________

Stircrazy


Weeks 27 & 28 - The Championships, Wimbledon (grass) - men's singles (6)


Tennis legend


Status: Offline

Posts: 54490

Date:

Permalink

Lambda wrote:

How out of touch are the ATP? Apparently, effectively immediately after Wimbledon, ball kids will once again be required to hand lazy players their sweaty, germ infested, towels. Gross....

"Board approved a rule change to permit players to request and be handed towels between points, as was customary before the COVID-19 pandemic. All ATP tournaments must accommodate this provision. This rule change will take effect starting after Wimbledon."

(Sorry, nothing to do with Wimby)

That IS disgusting, but can't the Grand Slam organisers put their collective foot down, given that they're not ATP (or WTA) events?

__________________

Stircrazy


Weeks 27 & 28 - The Championships, Wimbledon (grass) - men's singles (7)


Tennis legend


Status: Offline

Posts: 54490

Date:

Permalink

indiana wrote:
Coup Droit wrote:
JonH comes home wrote:

Just spotted Fritz beat Zverev in 5!

Sometimes little things are very pleasingWeeks 27 & 28 - The Championships, Wimbledon (grass) - men's singles (8)

If we could just get rid of Djokovic too ...

Well, Rune couldn't do it in the last 16, more's the pity: dumped out in straight sets. Next chance is AdM in the quarters - if he's fit... Weeks 27 & 28 - The Championships, Wimbledon (grass) - men's singles (9)

__________________

Stircrazy


Weeks 27 & 28 - The Championships, Wimbledon (grass) - men's singles (10)


Tennis legend


Status: Offline

Posts: 54490

Date:

Permalink

Stircrazy wrote:
indiana wrote:
Coup Droit wrote:
JonH comes home wrote:

Just spotted Fritz beat Zverev in 5!

Sometimes little things are very pleasingWeeks 27 & 28 - The Championships, Wimbledon (grass) - men's singles (11)

If we could just get rid of Djokovic too ...

Well, Rune couldnt do it in the last 16, more's the pity: dumped out in straight sets. Next chance is AdM in the quarters - if he's fit... Weeks 27 & 28 - The Championships, Wimbledon (grass) - men's singles (12)

And Djoko's not a happy bunny. I must admit that, much as I dislike the man, I wouldn't stoop so low as actually to boo him if I were at the match.

__________________

JonH comes home



Tennis legend


Status: Offline

Posts: 38192

Date:

Permalink

Stircrazy wrote:
Stircrazy wrote:
indiana wrote:
Coup Droit wrote:
JonH comes home wrote:

Just spotted Fritz beat Zverev in 5!

Sometimes little things are very pleasingWeeks 27 & 28 - The Championships, Wimbledon (grass) - men's singles (13)

If we could just get rid of Djokovic too ...

Well, Rune couldn't do it in the last 16, more's the pity: dumped out in straight sets. Next chance is AdM in the quarters - if he's fit... Weeks 27 & 28 - The Championships, Wimbledon (grass) - men's singles (14)

And Djoko's not a happy bunny. I must admit that, much as I dislike the man, I wouldn't stoop so low as actually to boo him if I were at the match.

I read they were chanting "Rune" as in Roooonnne" which is a bit like the football supporters chant, and Djoko mistook it for boos...I could be wrong on that.

Seems like Zverev wasnt very happy with Fritz either although not sure if it was Fritz playing lots of drop shots or Fritz girlfriend in the box making some comments towards Zverev

__________________
Weeks 27 & 28 - The Championships, Wimbledon (grass) - men's singles (2024)

References

Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Wyatt Volkman LLD

Last Updated:

Views: 6280

Rating: 4.6 / 5 (46 voted)

Reviews: 85% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Wyatt Volkman LLD

Birthday: 1992-02-16

Address: Suite 851 78549 Lubowitz Well, Wardside, TX 98080-8615

Phone: +67618977178100

Job: Manufacturing Director

Hobby: Running, Mountaineering, Inline skating, Writing, Baton twirling, Computer programming, Stone skipping

Introduction: My name is Wyatt Volkman LLD, I am a handsome, rich, comfortable, lively, zealous, graceful, gifted person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.